[ExI] Reading good for brain?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Dec 29 11:19:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-28 17:22, Dan Ust wrote:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brain-function-boosted-for-days-after-reading-a-novel-9028302.html
>
> Sounds like they need to do a bit more here to back the title of the
> article. My immediate question was, "What's a good novel?" Would
> reading something by Clive Cussler be better, by this test, than
> something by James Joyce?

And maybe more than 19 test subjects would be good for the
trustworthiness. Overall, a typical popsci claim along the lines of
"cinnamon burns fat": maybe true, but not proven to matter. Especially
since more brain activity is not obviously a good thing: what matters is
what the brain activity is *about*. More activity in pain areas is
usually a bad thing, and people well trained on a task show less
activity in areas beginners use for the same task.

Still, there is some evidence that reading somewhat serious novels
improves empathy abilities (you think about what people think and feel).
Whether James Joyce is good for you remains to be studied.

(Currently enjoying Ian McDonald's sf novel "Brasyl" - partially for
scenery setting for a sf game in a Brazil-dominated future, partially
just for the fun goings-on among quantum hackers, reality show producers
and far too competent Jesuits).

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute