[ExI] Let's stop lowering our IQs.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:32:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Dan wrote:
<snip>
> That said, what's funny here is James Clement did post the link to a paper
> on this topic that also links to other papers on the same. I think the
> subject line might be off, but I would find it strange if fluoride wasn't
> toxic... And the whole idea of fluoridating seems like the worst form of
> risk-taking: adding something new into the general water supply should
> always be something that has to bear the burden of proof -- rather than the
> other way 'round.

My understanding is that that is exactly what they did.

Some areas naturally have trace amounts of fluoride in the water and
always have had. It was noticed that the people living there had less
tooth damage than other populations. So some national health
authorities started to add trace amounts of fluoride to their water to
protect the population. A small amount of fluoride was also added to
most toothpastes, but toothpaste is a luxury item for very poor
people, so a national water policy protected them.

Statistics on the benefits may have been affected by first world
countries changing their diets to to include lots of sweet, sticky,
sugary items. Without fluoride they probably wouldn't have any teeth
left at all.

BillK