[ExI] 2^57885161-1

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Feb 7 22:19:40 UTC 2013

Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> > "Prime numbers, which are divisible only by themselves and
> > one, "
>
>wait for it...
>
> > " have little mathematical importance."
>
>!!!
>
>Even I know that's not true, and I'm a mathematical troglodyte.

I'm not sure that's not true. They're of *practical* use. That doesn't
mean they're of mathematical importance, although I have to guess
what they mean by that.

How significant are prime numbers outside of number theory?
I remember them popping up occasionally as a device in crafting
a proof by contradiction, but that's about it.

Versus numbers that are of broad mathematical (and practical)
significance, like -1, 0, 1, 2, i, e, pi, and phi.

-- David.