[ExI] Where are they? was Re: 2^57885161-1

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 00:35:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM,  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Which is why I hold the opinion that civilisations which can control
> enough resources to seed the universe are also intelligent enough to
> decide not to do that. Or, alternatively, find themselves driven down
> a different path. For example, like transcension, or moving to a
> nano-scale infinite universe, or even self-destruction, any of which
> does not lead to the seeding of the universe.

Either one of them has to be 100% or some combination of them does.  A
single cause seems more likely to me, but I say that without
conviction.

What is the one thing an intelligent species would value most?  I
think intelligence itself would be the common trait.

That leads to uploading and speeding up to where the rest of the
universe recedes out of reach.

> Obviously, the universe still exists,

That's not entirely obvious.  Though I put no stock a in the idea of
this being a simulation, I can't rule it out.

Keith