[ExI] Laser propulsion for power sats--objections

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:48:00 UTC 2013

Brief devil's advocate nit:

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> put it the other way - the united states decides to put lasers in orbit that
>> can
>> vaporize anything on the surface on a moments notice and nobody can do
>> anything about it?  I think that project ever happens?  like, Russia and
> China
>
> I don't see them freaking out about Predator drones and Hellfire
> missiles.  Those will kill people every bit as dead as a propulsion
> laser beam.

Those are demonstrably not yet aimed at Russia and China.
Further, if they were launched against targets inland in those
countries - say, their respective capital cities - they could be
shot down before they could strike.

With laser sats, this is not the case.  Not without taking them
out of their peaceful role.