[ExI] Experimental Null Test of Mach Effect

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 20:51:08 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:09 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
>> But apparently these skeptics never bothered to counter these objections.
>>
>> Any comment?
>
> People will make basic physics errors.  People very insistent on making
> basic physics errors will continue to make them regardless of any and all
> corrections offered, so at some point it becomes obvious that continuing
> to disprove them is of no value.

I think a slighter deeper question to ask is why such errors are made in the first place. I think we're running against basic intuitions here -- here the basic intuition being about addition of something being linear (more in results in more out by the same amount) -- and it's not so much that the people are necessarily stupid, but just that it's difficult to overcome these basic intuitions. I think the same goes to explaining many other errors made, where the error seems persistent, cropping up across cultures and generations.
I also don't think debunking is always counterproductive. It more depends on the persons involved. But it comes down to personal preferences: how much effort do you want to put into debunking, how much does it matter to you? One of the most difficult things I've found in life, especially online, is to remain silent when someone makes a comment you know (okay, you believe you know -- but you believe you know in something more passionate than just a casual manner) to be dead wrong. For instance, I remained silent with your recent attack on me here. :)

Regards,

Dan