[ExI] How do we convince Richard Branson to donate/invest billions for anti-aging research?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:16:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM, John Grigg  wrote:
> Does anyone else have input to give?  I sure hope so...

One of the 'problems' of being a billionaire is that they are
constantly subjected to people and organisations requesting donations.
There is a whole industry engaged in trying to obtain grants from
wealthy donors. So join the queue. :)

The good news is that Health is the major philanthropic interest of
Giving Pledge members. (They want to live longer, just like everyone
else). Branson includes Medical research and Health among his
philanthropic interests.

The not so good news is that members don't pledge to give their wealth
away *now*. Just sometime before their death. Though Zuck, Gates and
Buffet have started giving money to charitable causes already. Branson
said - quote - "when they take their wealth out of Virgin’s airline,
media and other holdings".

So the Giving Pledge is generally good news, I think. The best route
to encourage donations for causes that you support is to increase
publicity. The more news items and attention they get in the
mainstream press the better. This will encourage smaller donations as
well.

BillK