[ExI] tests again

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 1 03:33:01 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:47 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] tests again

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>.  In the real world, we all have access to externalized knowledge.  The
test is designed to show how effectively the technician can access that
external knowledge pool out there on the internet.  All suggestions welcome.
Spike

>.Be careful: if your test becomes popular enough, then someone
is likely to eventually write up the questions and answers they
faced.  In other words, their version of the test itself may become
part of this externalized knowledge.

Ja, this is why I wanted to use branching.  That technique protects to some
extent the content of the test leaking into the public domain, since only a
small percentage of the questions are ever seen by any one test taker.

>.What if they just said "Adjusting lash", with all those other words,
rather than "Adjusting valve lash". ..

This consideration has caused me to abandon the notion of both machine
scoring and objective score all together.  The test response will be
recorded and I will subjectively evaluate which areas the candidate is
strong, which not, and a general category of score will be assigned
subjectively, perhaps returning to the original idea of seven ranks for each
subspecialty.  The beauty of this system is that each hiring manager has
complete access to the responses of all the candidates, since memory is
cheap.  This means of evaluation is far more informative than the
traditional five bubble test.