[ExI] A paranormal prediction for the next year

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:52:05 UTC 2013

I do think this is a bit of a pointless post.  I could imagine the human
mind being versatile enough to glean enough information from body language,
facial movement, speech patterns and content, etc. to effectively "read a
mind" by *somebody's* standards.  Of course, the second something like this
is found out to be possible then we have a factual basis for it, and it is
no longer psi-like.  Your post really amounts to saying "An untestable,
unexplainable human mental phenomenon will not have a paper on it published
in a leading science journal"--but of course that is not the sort of thing
that would be published in one of those journals!

Maybe you mean to say that we won't discover some electromagnetic doodaddy
weirdness in our brains.  But I think if you told people of the past that
we could put you in a magnet machine and see what you we're thinking, they
might be a little bit incredulous.  So then perhaps you mean to say that we
won't discover human mental faculties that are unexplainable by physics as
it is known to humanity up to 2012.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that
we have a bit of a way to go in understanding physics.

So I will counter your nebulous statement with one I hope is slightly less:

Eventually--maybe not this year, but almost certainly--a hitherto unknown
or unexplored ability of the human mind will find mainstream scientific
attention.

And it won't be called psi.