[ExI] Women

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 1 21:58:37 UTC 2013

Natasha wrote:"This might or might not be related, but I wonder how many men in the Middle East (West Asia) and Asia have sex change to become women vs. women to become men.  Then I'd like to compare this to the Western world's stats."

This is likely to be complicated by the way the different societies involved view gender. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7259057.stm summarises a programme adapted from the film "Be Like Others", about sex changes in Iran. The "Middle East" is not homogenous, there are many cultures there.

Likewise in Asia the Thai concept of Katoey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katoey is different from western ideas of gender. Any raw statistics on what we consider "gender reassignment surgery" in Thailand would have to be viewed in light of the dominant culture of that country's views on gender.

Tom