[ExI] College 2.0

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 1 23:48:04 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of ablainey at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 3:31 PM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] College 2.0

Im a believer in the free education ideal. I can't believe how a low pay or no pay school teacher in Africa can teach a group of 50 kids to a reasonable level. While some of our multi-million £/$ establishment can't get intelligent kids to a GED…

Ja.  Part of that might be that the African school has only the worthy students, whereas we cram all our students into school regardless of their suitability.  I think we will see success in online education because those who are suitable will find it and use it.

It occurred to me that we have had free online education for at least 25 years.  Plenty of us managed to extract one hell of an education in math just from experimenting with Excel over the years.  It sure worked for me.  Early internet users educated each other.