[ExI] Radiation in DC

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jan 7 00:53:06 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of David Lubkin
Subject: [ExI] Radiation in DC

>...<http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/nuclear-security-helicopters-
testing-radiation-levels-above-dc-area/>

>...This makes sense: Establish a radiation baseline so you can detect
what's abnormal. -- David.

David I think this wasn't your point or your question, but when I read the
article, the first thing I thought of is why the heck would they need a
helicopter to do something like that?  Choppers are noisy, expensive and
relatively dangerous.  If they are buzzing around at 150 feet and 80 knots,
just use a good old cheapy Cessna high-wing: a tenth the initial price and
less than a tenth the per-hour operation cost, make a lot less racket and
attract less attention.  When we see a helicopter doing anything, we
immediately recognize it as our tax dollars at play.

It does make us realize that in the event of sequestration, the government
still has *plenty* of room to cut this kind of foolishness out of the budget
without seriously harming any actual legitimate government function.