[ExI] Apologies was Re: (no subject)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 8 15:14:45 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of The Avantguardian
>
> Time for anti-virus cleanup project.

>...My apologies to Bill and anyone affected by this incident. It is a curious situation... If Bill or anyone else has any further advice, I am open to suggestions.
Stuart LaForge

Thanks Avant.  The users on this list are generally sufficiently hip to know that whenever we get a message from a friend with no subject line and only a link, it must be bogus.  I feel better knowing that if I get in trouble, I have a group of computer hipsters to consult right here.

Another thought, perhaps wishful thinking: when I get these kinds of posts I am reminded we are apparently generally winning the war on spam.  About 10 yrs ago it seems half my inbox was some sort of spam.  Now it is less than 5 percent, and even those which get through are only those in which I have specified the sender as a never-block.  Most everyone on ExI-chat is specified in my spam filters as never-blocks, which is why I saw this link from Stuart.

Idea: spam filters should have an auto-post that goes to any address one specifies as a never block.  That would be the email counterpart to Facebook's friending.  That being said, I sometimes get the urge to get a bullhorn and go over to Menlo Park, stand outside the headquarters and explain to the silly goofs that the term friend is a NOUN not a verb.  Those annoying proles have made my job harder in teaching my own son about the nuances of language.  We do not friend a friend, we befriend a friend.  By flatly refusing to wade into the memetic tarpit which is Facebook and use only email, then our never-blocking an address is how we electronically befriend a friend.