[ExI] Apologies was Re: (no subject)

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:51:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM, The Avantguardian  wrote:
> > My apologies to Bill and anyone affected by this incident. It is a
> curious situation. The spam emails
> > occured while my computer was off ( I got a bunch of failure notices
> from Yahoo's mailer daemon
> > and recieved the spam to my other email accounts since I email things to
> myself fairly regularly.)
> > A short while ago, I ran both Malaware Bytes and Avast and neither
> program found anything
> > (I was looking for keyloggers or other spyware  that could have
> compromised my Yahoo account
> > since an active local infection of my computer was hopefully ruled out
> by the computer being off.)
> > Both scans came back negative. I am therefore operating under the
> assumption that the security
> > breach was on Yahoo's end and changed my account password and retrieval
> information.
> > If Bill or anyone else has any further advice, I am open to suggestions.
> >

> That sounds fine to me. If changing your Yahoo password stops the spam
> then Yahoo was the source.
> That doesn't mean that Yahoo was necessarily at fault. Your mail
> password could have been guessed or obtained by some other method,
> e.g. in an internet cafe or on a public wifi link.

On the subject of webmails, gmail has a useful feature, it will warn you if
it detects strange logins. One day I opened my account, only to find a
warning message that in the last few days it had been accessed from
Romania. I immediately changed the password, and to this date I have no
idea whether the warning had a real basis or not (any cracker worthy of the
name would have changed the password right away).

Alfio