[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Jan 12 20:38:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Mirco Romanato wrote:

> Il 15/12/2012 10:56, BillK ha scritto:
> > Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030
> > Even better: It could do so at the same cost as fossil fuels
>
> It is always interesting they say always "could" and never "can".
>
> http://www.thegwpf.org/poland-czech-republic-ban-germanys-green-energy/
>
> Poland and other disagree to foot the bill for Germany Wind and Solar
> madness.
>
> Mirco

The story, after some additional poking, seems far from complete - in its
current form, at least. It may hint that Germany had hit some kind of
technological roadblock, which may have something to do with storing
excess energy from green in power grid (which in this use is supposed to
act as huge capacitor).

There is also the related political problem - like a possible German
dependency on Russian energy and raw materials exports. This includes not
only oil/gas but maybe a coal, too. And this maybe links to the fact that
from what I have heard once, Soviets liked to finance green parties. They
really liked this (but I guess if Soviets had ever won, greens would have
been among the first to work in Siberia, this is how stuff works). And
perhaps it also boils down to the fact that in mind of typical Westerner,
there is no idea of Russians cutting the supply off and thus forcing any
kind of subservience. Like they currently try (with some success, perhaps)
on their former subjects, Ukraine and Belarus. From what I heard, a
typical Westerner thinks more like "I have the money, I want to pay, so I
will buy whatever I need". But when someone controls all the shops in the
town, he also controls the town, whether he says so loudly or not. And if
he prefers to not sell to you, then your money have no value at all. In
such case, what else besides money can you offer? Assume for a while that
you cannot leave the town and police as well as magistrate are owned too.

Anyway. Politics is a swamp. And getting real news is hard. So the above
is just a memory dump, not opinion.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola