[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 18 02:43:15 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
>> Incidentally at the latest count there are 1,000,000,000 working cars
> on this planet. I didn't try to calculate how many solar cells you'd
> need to run a blast furnace at a steel mill, or a 747.

>...I want to see the blueprint for a solar-powered 747.  I imagine it has a
sleek black surface built of solar panels and an impressive array of carbon
nanotubes harnessing about half-a-million pigeons...

>... more enginerring?

No pigeons necessary, the solar cells to run the 747 are not carried aloft.
A few hectares of solar panels in the desert powers a coal to kerosene
plant, fill er up and off you go.  I can imagine solar powered coal to
liquids will be an important process in the future because it mostly solves
the problem of moving the power to the people, right on.