[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:32:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
<snip>
> Strangely enough, I agree! We need 3 TWp deployment rate annually for the
> next 40 years, while we're currently at 30 GWp only. That's a factor of
> 100 short of what we need.

The article is attempting to model running the US grid system mainly
from renewable power sources.
I believe the US grid capacity is only about 1TW at present.

The study sheds light on what an electric system might look like with
heavy reliance on renewable energy sources. Wind speeds and sun
exposure vary with weather and seasons, requiring ways to improve
reliability. In this study, reliability was achieved by: expanding the
geographic area of renewable generation, using diverse sources,
employing storage systems, and for the last few percent of the time,
burning fossil fuels as a backup.

The study isn't trying to redesign the whole world. It is trying to
show that by increasing the use of renewable energy over the next 17
years it is feasible to run the US grid mostly from wind and sun. As
Spike points out, cars will become more economical, especially when
driven by Google.

BillK