[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 19 14:46:15 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc

>>... My vision for the future is coping with gradually tightening energy
> sources and doing cool stuff anyway, replacing fossil fuels with
> renewables and such... spike

Exactly, Spike.

This is my greatest fear (well, this and rabid chihuahuas), that we will
learn to make do with less, and less, and less, all the way down to the
freezing in the dark scenario.  We need expansive, /extropian/ thinking, not
this defeatist, depressing 'sustainability' attitude.  There is no such
thing as sustainability, we either expand or contract, win or lose, live or
die...Ben Zaiboc

Ben it is part of extropian thinking to look at what happens if there is no
singularity and nuclear fusion never does work out for us.  I have no doubt
we will build new nuclear plants, and some space based solar might
eventually happen if the Chinese and Indians take it up with vigor.  But it
might be that these things will not come to pass.  You may be right that the
most common future scenarios being promoted today, gradual conversion to
all-sustainable energy, are not reasonable scenarios at all.  Humanity may
not accept it.  It will be one or more of our miracle energy sources, or
all-out destruction, with no alternatives.