[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 17:13:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I can't speak to the nature of your human being, but as a Troll you've
>> > achieved a level of distinction comparable to that of a well-aged scotch.
>

> Mr. Dougherty first called me a Troll on September 28 2006, to which I
> replied:
>
> "I'm flattered. As I've been on this list for over a decade so you must
> think
> I deserve to be in the Guinness Book of world records as the longest living
> troll in internet history."
>
> But perhaps the confusion is one of language, so In Mr. Dougherty's lexicon
> I'd really like to know one thing, what is a Troll? And what is it that
> makes me a Troll but Mr. Dougherty not a Troll?

Though [any-] one could certainly follow a link to the wikipedia reference:
  Troll "... is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or
off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room,
or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an
emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic
discussion"

I meant it in the sense of posting inflammatory message ... with the
intent of provoking readers.

While there are certainly negative connotations to disrupting
discussion, I have enjoyed the bold tone of your disruption to the
status quo.  There seems to be an etiquette to many done-to-death
conversations that are disrupted by [what I read] as eschewing the
jargon of this nerd clique and you say real things the way I imagine
real people would.

And since you ask so plainly, I have to admit I may as well call
myself a Troll here as well.  I have no engineering credentials.  I
have no doctoral thesis.  I really can't even say I feel particularly
passionate about the hot-buttons I've observed all these years.  (did
I really call you Troll in 2006?  geez, hasn't seemed that long)  Yet
I continue to hang around with an occasional quip or remark.  Mostly
what I post is nonsense.  In that respect, it is a troll.  I don't
know enough to make the defensible cage-rattling commentary that you
post, but I do enjoy the sometimes inevitable eruption it causes.
Sometimes it's just snark, but I get that too.

So do let me publicly apologize for the negative connotation I've
applied in your direction.  I had expected the "distinction of a
well-aged scotch" would have indicated respect and appreciation for
elevating the art to an exceptional level.  btw, Thanks for allowing
me the option to explain.

Perhaps it would be better to simply remove the term from my "lexicon."  :)