[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 19 19:35:21 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013  spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Ben it is part of extropian thinking to look at what happens if there is
no singularity and nuclear fusion never does work out for us.

>.That's the problem, nuclear fusion is hard, really really really hard.
Even nature has only figured out one way to .  John K Clark

Ja.  Having some kind of backup plan puts the practical in extropian notion
of practical optimism.  It isn't defeatism to ask the question "what happens
if a miracle technology does not occur?"

That being said, I think there will be plenty of cool stuff to come along
that will contribute to our energy future.  I don't think one single
technology will carry the load, as coal did for a long time, and oil does
now.  I see a lot of technologies contributing, using everything we know how
to do, including fracking, solar powered coal-to-liquids, massively
dispersed small-plot farming in high population areas (mostly replacing
suburban lawns with food crops using robots to do the heavy lifting), the
works.