[ExI] breakout culture (Was: ambition)

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Jan 31 21:58:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> I am running minimum viable population models right now, and around 2000 is
> probably necessary for indefinite survival. It all depends on
> mortality/fertility of course, and that is hard to estimate historically
> (which is how I have managed to rope in my archeologist - we are investigating
> the osteological paradox of how fluctuating demographics affects the
> archaeological finds).

I'm not sure if this helps, but there are (still!) a number of so called
"uncontacted" peoples. Of course, there must have been some kind of
unidirectional contact to know about them. The average number of such
group is about 200+ people. Sometimes much less.

[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples

]

Of those, the Sentinelese (some 250+ people) are probably the most
isolated, living on their island since maybe more than few thousands
years. They don't know boats, so either they forgot them or they never
used them and became stranded when sea level rose up. But it's hard to say
for sure if they were equally isolated all the time.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola