[ExI] 23andme again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jul 1 15:54:36 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andme again

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Mirco Romanato wrote:

>>... The truth will make you free(er).  As you didn't anything evil or
wrong, what's the problem with the true?  Mirco

>...The difficulty is that human society is dependent on lies for survival.
We can't get through the day without lying.  ...This is especially true in
families. All families have secrets ...
Broadcasting the truth could cause the breakup of families. Feuds happen
often enough anyway, without added disruption...BillK

Of course there is always the possibility of a mistake, as pointed out by
other posters on this topic.  But if a mistake, I don't know how 23andMe
would have known those two particular family names married in 1840 and
produced several children, some of whom cannot be accounted for in later
years.  The fact that those two names moved together to positions 2 and 3 in
one day, the same day that a new person showed up as my second closest DNA
relative on 23 is compelling evidence that either an offspring of that union
produced a child who was adopted out and not told, or that an offspring of
that union fathered a child secretly.

In any case, I think BillK is right on.  Nature is filled with examples of
wildlife using camouflage and deception, so it should come as no surprise
that human society is deeply dependent on it.  23andMe exposes lies and lays
bare secrets long cherished.

It is my prediction that by whatever mysterious or overt means, 23andMe will
be shut down.  I don't know how, but possibilities include massive waves of
lawsuits from which it must defend even if frivolous, inexplicable IRS
audits, predator drones armed with hellfire missiles, etc.  Society and
government is filled with people dependent on lies and secrecy; judges,
legislators, religious leaders, IRS directors all have the possibility of
illegitimate children too.  It is easy to imagine them working together,
using whatever means available, legal or illegal, to stop 23.  I hope that
23andMe can withstand all the pressures, but I fear it cannot.

Here's how you will know I am right.  Watch for legislation making it
illegal to do health insurance pricing based on DNA.  If that fails, look
for societal pressure in the form of bad PR for any company suspected of
offering health insurance discounts based on DNA sampling.