[ExI] 23andme again

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Wed Jul 3 08:05:38 UTC 2013

Il 03/07/2013 06:01, spike ha scritto:

> But imagine the perp does leave some trace of DNA, but that's all.  There
> are no witnesses, no security camera evidence, and even the fingerprints
> bring up no matches, so all you have is a DNA sample full stop.  Looks to me
> like you now have the power to send that sample to 23andMe, then you now
> have at least a list of the perp's distant cousins.  With a bit of detective
> work that you are willing to put in, but not the police department, you
> might be able to figure out whodunit, just by looking at the intersection of
> all the cousins.  If not, all you need to do is wait, because more and more
> people sign up for this all the time.

We have a case, in Italy, where we have traces of DNA found on the
victim of an homicide, a 13 years old girl.

People around the place accepted to submit their DNA to help the police
exclude them from the suspect list. It was a lot of people.
Then some matches happened.
Not of the suspect, but of some half-brother.
The problem is the father is dead and the man have no clue about an
half-brother. So, there is no lead to him, for now.

Asking females to give DNA samples is so un-PC.

Mirco