[ExI] [liberationtech] An interview with Snowden and more in Der Spiegel

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 8 11:53:09 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded message from Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> -----

Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:36:21 +0000
From: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>
To: liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
Subject: [liberationtech] An interview with Snowden and more in Der Spiegel

Hi,

What we're seeing in Der Spiegel, The Guardian, Washington Post and
other select publications is the birth of new threat models - not just
for activists but for all of civil society, parliamentarians, companies
and more. This is a threat model that "many have known" and yet at the
same time, there is clearly new stuff. For one - we're seeing
confirmations of things that have been denied in public - we're also
learning the names of things, which now made public, may be FOIA'ed by
name as well as pushing for disclosures. This is where we'll see if
America will shine - when the information comes out, will we be able to
use our democratic process to turn this disaster around? I'd like to
think so - that is why I worked on these pieces - hope is not lost.
Though hope alone is not a strategy.

I think this may be of interest to people on the list:

  http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/index-7028.html

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/snowden-enthuellung-verbindung-zur-nsa-bringt-bnd-in-erklaerungsnot-a-909884.html

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/us-lauschangriff-opposition-macht-druck-auf-merkel-a-909871.html

For non-German speakers I suggest the following English links:

  http://www.spiegel.de/international/topic/whistle_blowers/

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/whistleblower-snowden-claims-german-intelligence-in-bed-with-nsa-a-909904.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/edward-snowden-accuses-germany-of-aiding-nsa-in-spying-efforts-a-909847.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/snowden-reveals-how-gchq-in-britain-soaks-up-mass-internet-data-a-909852.htmlv

My interview with Snowden is available as a leaked pdf on cryptome in
German:

  http://cryptome.org/2013/07/snowden-spiegel-13-0707-en.htm
  http://cryptome.org/2013/07/snowden-spiegel-13-0707.pdf
  http://cryptome.org/2013/07/snowden-spiegel-13-0707-2.pdf

The English original will be released this week.

Last week's article is also very important:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-documents-nsa-targeted-germany-and-eu-buildings-a-908609.html

This is also probably of great interest to people on the list:

http://oglobo.globo.com/infograficos/volume-rastreamento-governo-americano/

http://jaraparilla.blogspot.com/2013/07/nsa-surveillance-of-australia-exposed.html

http://www.theage.com.au/world/snowden-reveals-australias-links-to-us-spy-web-20130708-2plyg.html

Welcome to the Grim Meathook Future, Citizens! Lets turn this ship around!

All the best,
Jacob
--
Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----