[ExI] head transplants

spike spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jul 8 18:13:37 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Gordon

>.If and when they become possible, I think they should be called body
transplants as opposed to head transplants. If my doctor told me he wanted
to attach a donor body to my head, I would consider it. If he wanted to
attach a donor head to my body, I would definitely seek a second opinion.
Gordon

Gordon, in the context of this question, we now need to define the term "my"
in reference to both bodies and both heads.

Florida has a lot of excellent motorcycle weather and no helmet
requirements.  That results in a number of healthy young bodies with the
frontal lobes destroyed by impact with speeding Detroits or pavement, or
both.  By cheerful coincidence, Florida also has plenty of older, saner and
far more wealthy citizenry with healthy brains but some terminal condition
in the body, including total paralysis.

If the family of the former biker agrees, it seems to me ethically
acceptable in the case of a patient who is permanently unconscious and on
life support and the other patient, a wealthy quadriplegic, to switch the
heads, so that the thinking patient can have a healthy, even if still
paralyzed body, and the permanently vegetative patient can take the fatally
flawed one and continue "life" on mechanical support.