[ExI] 23andTriangulation

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 06:55:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM, spike wrote:

<snip>
> So the implication is that there is nothing stopping anyone from figuring
> out their health risks based on DNA, then buying insurance if they are high
> risk, or just paying the fine if they are at low risk.

I have doubts about using this DNA data to decide about buying health
insurance in the USA.

When you buy house insurance, you are pretty confident that you will
never need to claim on it. You are buying peace of mind. In the very
unlikely event that your house burns down, falls into a sinkhole or
gets destroyed by an 18-wheeler truck, then you can recover the
rebuild cost from the insurance.

I think the same logic applies to buying health insurance in the USA.
(Either the new government scheme or private health insurance). There
are many problems requiring medical care and/or hospitalization that
have nothing to do with inherited conditions. Lack of medical
insurance causes financial ruin to many Americans (and illnesses go
untreated).
Anyone can fall off a roof or pick up an infection. Insurance means
you don't have to worry about medical problems bankrupting you.

As with all insurance, you have to decide whether the cost of the
premiums is worth the freedom from worry.

BillK