[ExI] list test

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 21:27:34 UTC 2013

 "spike" <spike at rainier66.com> observed:

> I'll be back home tomorrow. ... no internet, no cell phone,
> nothing.  It was hell.

Now that's an interesting observation.

For some people, being 'off grid' is an ordeal, for others, it's necessary to recharge their batteries, or restore their sanity.  I know, because I'm one of them.

I'm wondering what that means for the oft-quoted problem of accelerated intelligences needing to be connected at all times, leading to the 'no expansion' scenario.

I'm thinking there are probably personality types that would relish the prospect of a few hundred years of peace and quiet between bursts of contact with their parent civilisation.  Or even being cast adrift from it permanently.  Maybe the answer to the Fermi Paradox is that yes, there are interstellar explorers, but they're all hermit types.

Ben Zaiboc