[ExI] chinese synthesis

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 1 15:51:38 UTC 2013

Yeah, I'm not surprised. When I was in high school, I read _Cancer Ward_ by Solzhenitsyn. In the novel, one of the patients in the cancer ward reads his folder and it states "casus inoperabilis." For an English speaker -- and probably a French or Italian speaker -- it's quite easy to understand what this means. But for a native Russian speaker with no knowledge of Latin or of the aforementioned languages, it's opaque -- and that's the point in the novel: the patient can read it, but not have a clue what it means.

My guess would be Slavic languages would be, overall, not as influenced by Latin. Maybe some of them would have some Latin and Greek influence, but nothing like those of Germanic and Romance languages. Of course, the technical terms likely are similar in many cases, but they might alien to a native speaker without a technical background -- whereas an English speaker would be very likely to guess what "inoperabilis" means even if she never studied Latin and knew nothing about medical terminology.

Regards,

Dan