[ExI] 23andme again

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sun Jun 2 02:17:38 UTC 2013

Yes, exactly. Happily, I am average or below-risk for almost everything,
and the exceptions are relatively minor and/or low probability base rates.
The one that concerns me most is having 3.39x the average risk for
age-related macular degeneration. About 7% of people over 75 have AMD, so
the resulting risks for me are higher than I'd like. However, I've never
smoked, and that's a major non-genetic risk factor, and I eat plenty of
fruit, vegetables, and fish and nuts.

Overall, I can't complain. Thanks Mum and Dad! Praise be to the Random
Genetic Lottery!

--Max

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2013-06-01 19:20, spike wrote:
>
>> Low risk in every area except one, in which my risk is elevated by a
>> factor of about 8, damn.  But it was a good trade-off for being lower
>> risk for Alzheimers.
>>

> Exactly: not all risks are equal - we multiply the probability by a
> different loss value for each of them. And being X times more likely to get
> something very rare is not much of a worry - X times something small is
> still typically small.
>
> (Have not done 23andme yet, but will likely do it soonish. Next week I
> will start participating in a big longitudinal health study, which at least
> will keep an eye on my metabolic and cardiovascular health)
>
> --
> Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford University

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
Kindle available now:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-ebook/dp/B00BQZK6MU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation