[ExI] Space Gnats

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 15:17:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> Space networks have different constraints, and these are
> addressed in projects like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-tolerant_networking

Yes, I know that technically it's more complicated than just sending a
message, but the user isn't worried about exactly how the message gets
there and the OK gets returned.

Quite apart from the fact that there probably won't be much mind
transmission going on anyway, unless in emergency escape mode.

As we are sending a mind image as data at light speed, these
computronium minds would have to go into stasis at transmission time
and wake up at the reception point. After the OK has been received
back the original stasis mind can be erased. (If not OK, then
retransmit).
But even at lightspeed, it takes hours to get to the further out
planets and a year to get to the Oort cloud. Due to the speedup of
computronium minds, this effectively means being asleep for aeons. And
that will probably not be acceptable for idle jaunts about the solar
system.

BillK