[ExI] chinese synthesis

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 22:04:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> Passive English comes out of that practically for free, and you can leverage
> your Italian and Latin to quickly grasp the basic grammar and vocabulary of
> all neo-Latin languages. In turn, German provides you a sufficient root
> lexicon to learn to understand Dutch or Swedish by yourself, not to mention
> the fact that words with a Greek etimology are one and the same across the
> entire spectrum of European languages (I do not know how to say theatre,
> epathitis or philosophy in Czech, but am confident that I would recognise
> the words), which is also of help to approach the last remaining big family,
> namely that of slavic legacy.

The BBC has an item saying that Germany has just deleted their longest word.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22762040>

Quotes:
Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz -
meaning "law delegating beef label monitoring" - was introduced in
1999 in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

It was repealed following changes to EU regulations on the testing of cattle.

German is famous - or notorious - for making compound words, often to
describe something legal or scientific.
They are known in Germany as "tapeworm" words.

The longest word to be found in the dictionary is
Kraftfahrzeughaftpflichtversicherung, meaning "automobile liability
insurance".