[ExI] Arkyd

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 5 08:28:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 07:56:54PM +0100, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> But the *sensitivity* depends on how large the "light bucket" is:
> the total area collecting light. 20 cm is not much at all, plenty of
> amateurs have that. You can get a better picture by looking longer,
> but the signal/noise ratio only grows with the square root of time.
> So 20 cm is not going to be doing anything radical compared to
> existing telescopes, image-wise.

One of the problems of incoming asteroid detection is that
these coming out of the sun are hard to see. I can imagine
that a space-based telescope can improve things there, even
if it's small.

I agree that a fleet of automated coordinated instruments
on the ground could be a lot more cost-effective.