[ExI] [ZS] [cryo] Nick Bostrom, Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong to be frozen after death

spike spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 11 23:27:41 UTC 2013

>... I don't expect anybody to be perfect all the time - I'm certainly not
> - but  spending ?50,000 for selfish reasons is highly debatable, to
> say the least, especially coming from people whose job is to raise
> awareness on important issues (one issue being the underfunding of
high-impact science).

Another take on this: when we spend 50k on cryonics, the money  isn't
actually destroyed; rather it merely changes hands.  If we spend a few dozen
bucks a month on life insurance set for cryonics, that money isn't destroyed
either, but rather is just taken out of my bank account and put into
circulation.

If we argue that the money spent on cryonics should go to a worthy charity,
I would suggest that worthy charities set up cryonics facilities, then apply
for tax-exempt status based on the notion that views across the political
spectrum are represented among those who choose cryonics.  We could even
take as clients those who perish while being unable to pay for their own
cryo-preservation, thus fulfilling the requirement that a charity promote
the general welfare.