[ExI] DNA India: The transhumanity timeline

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Jun 20 02:38:42 UTC 2013

I want to note that I didn't actually coin "extropy". It was my co-editor
of *Extropy *magazine, T.O. Morrow.

--Max

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM, James Clement <clementlawyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> The transhumanity timeline
> Saturday, Jun 15, 2013, 18:32 IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA
> Joanna Lobo <http://www.dnaindia.com/authors/joanna-lobo>
>

> A chronological list of how transhumanity has evolved over the years.
>
> *1927: *Julian Huxley, a biologist, coined the term for what he hoped
> would be a new age of enlightenment: "transhumanism--man remaining man, but
> transcending himself, by realising new possibilities of and for his human
> nature."
>
> *1962: *Robert Ettinger, a World War II veteran who became a physics
> professor, published The Prospect of Immortality. He devised America's
> first science experiment with immortality: cryonics. In 1972 he wrote that
> instead of relying on cryonics to revive the dead, forthcoming technologies
> might make death obsolete.
>
> *1980's:* An Englishman named Max O'Connor/ More coined the term extropy
> which was the tendency for things to speed up. He founded the Extropy
> Institute.
>
> *1990:* He wrote an essay titled Transhumanism: Toward a Futurist
> Philosophy and a journal Extropy: The journal of Transhumanist Thought.
> Soon after, his Extropians began calling themselves transhumanists. The
> institute shut down in later years but tranhumanism kept mutating.
>
> *Today:* There is the World Transhumanist Association (now called
> Humanity+), the Foresight Nanotech Institute in Menlo Park, the Singularity
> Institute for Artificial Intelligence, the Methuselah Foundation that works
> to extend biological life, the Immortality Institute advocates for
> indefinite life extension technologies, the Lifeboat Foundation works to
> alert the public about existential risks, the Institute for Ethics and
> emerging Technologies, the Alcor Life Extension Foundation. Besides,
> several countries have their own associations.
>

> http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/1848479/report-the-transhumanity-timeline

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
Kindle available now:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-ebook/dp/B00BQZK6MU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation