[ExI] RES: UltraRope could make kilometer-high elevators possible

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 03:45:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Henrique Moraes Machado <
cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read this a few days ago and got me thinking. Why do elevators have to
> use
> cables at all? Can't they build a maglev elevator or something? Not talking
> about the space elevator obviously, but building elevators.

One significant obstacle to a maglev building elevator would be the safety
issues solved by the Otis elevator brake. Perhaps it's not such a stretch
to solve the issue, but then is it really a maglev elevator?

I do think you've got a really good point here, and I suspect the issue
probably revolves around the expense of building such a beastie. Have you
done a cost analysis Henrique?

-Kelly