[ExI] DNA India: The transhumanity timeline

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 16:03:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM,  Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> I want to note that I didn't actually coin "extropy". It was my co-editor
> of *Extropy *magazine, T.O. Morrow.

While we are correcting the record . . . .

http://www.extropy.org/neologo.htm#j
Jupiter-Brain

    "A posthuman being of extremely high computational power and size.
This is the archetypal concentrated intelligence. The term originated
due to an idea by Keith Henson that nanomachines could be used to turn
the mass of Jupiter into computers running an upgraded version of
himself."

The idea actually came from Perry Metzger, I found the original
postings on Extropy, and my contribution was to throw cold water on
the idea from the problems with speed of light delays and the brain
cooking in it's own waste heat.  From the speed of light, the thinking
rate of a Jupiter brain would be ~50 times slower than a human brain.

If you want to do a lot of thinking, small dimensions, lots of power
and plenty of cold water are needed.

http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/04/12/transhumanism-and-the-human-expansion-into-space-a-conflict-with-physics/

Keith