[ExI] [tp] NSA flag terms

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 10:48:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 01:42:27PM +0100, BillK wrote:
>> Query: Does using that link in the Tor browser have a different effect
>> to setting DuckDuckGo as your preferred search engine in the search
>> box in the Tor browser?
>
> Yes, it does. You can see it for yourself, if you make a test search
> over the .onion address versus the built-in DuckDuckGo search provider.
> The results for the search query are also served over the hidden service.

Now that was 'quite interesting', as Stephen Fry might say. (QI
program reference).

Both routes are via an anonymous IP address, but the Tor hidden
service does make a difference.

(Correct me if I have misunderstood)  :)

Normal Tor traffic has to come back to your computer through
exitnodes. At the exitnodes, everything needs to be decrypted unless
it's ssl or similarly encrypted at the application layer. Additionally
the traffic is also directed to the REAL IP address. So setting up a
false NSA-controlled exitnode is a method of snooping Tor traffic. And
the NSA can afford the latest fastest computers to attract Tor
traffic.
In addition, people are advised to avoid running a Tor exitnode on
their home pc, as any dangerous traffic (terrorists, child
pornography, etc.) would be traced back to their IP address. Tor
exitnode pcs have been impounded by the police for this very reason.

When using hidden services, everything is encrypted along the whole
route. The onionrouting will ensure high barrier of entry for
adversaries and snoopers.

So using hidden services is indeed preferable.

Now, how do we find out what Tor hidden services are available?

BillK