[ExI] Dealing with transhumanism bashing

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 00:34:56 UTC 2013

I can give it a try. You say 96% of the population won't upload or
otherwise make radical upgrades. That may well be true, at first. But as
the decades and centuries wear on, it will change. People will be more
comfortable with uploading and radical modifications, and they'll let them
do lots of things they couldn't otherwise do. And young people will embrace
it more and more. The percentage won't go to 100% but it will be high.

And nanotechnology allows tons of computation with little energy, so MOSHs
as Kurzweil calls them will be immersed in a world which contains trillions
of minds, mostly without their notice. Uploads could basically let them
have their orbitals and houses at negligible cost. The number of MOSHs will
be low enough they probably won't ever expand much outside the Solar system
and so the rest of the Galaxy would be available for the uploaded humans
and AIs.

At best upload vs instantiated will be a matter of fashion. But the sheer
efficiency of cyberspace will mean most people will be in cyberspace. And
of course since energy will be the chief source of scarcity, beyond MOSHs
with some capital, most uploads wouldn't be able to afford being
instantiated - - - it'd just cost too much.
-Josh.