[ExI] Web’s Reach Binds N.S.A. and Silicon Valley Leaders

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jun 27 00:49:52 UTC 2013

On 06/20/2013 07:42 AM, spike wrote:
> Back in those days, among the actions we derived was to become a group
> of people. Every time you have friends over, have them log on to your
> computer account, write random emails, do internet searches, generally
> obscure your own search patterns. I did that. Over the years I think
> there are at least 60 people who have posted stuff under my name or
> done internet searches. At one party alone, the one after Extro-5,
> there were about 30 people doing that. Now my online tracks have been
> made by a group of people some of which I don't even know. Lesson,
> especially for Americans: get your friends to post stuff as you. Do
> that early and often. spike

Surely you jest.  Signal to noise ratio is bad enough as it is without
throwing out a bunch of crap just to confuse the spooks.  I have a hard
enough time keeping straight what I actually said and why much less what
was not said by me but by someone else to obscure my trail.

The real answer is to encrypt everything you can and seek to encrypt the
rest for everything except traffic pattern obscuration.  I have wondered
for a while why there is not a listserv equivalent with a PGP key-pair
per mailing list and key-pair generation automated per signed up
participant.  Message to/from the server uses the keys always.   There
are services out there for encrypting phone traffic.

For a web forum / social network you could do the same thing in
groups/communities by not letting outsiders read messages which only
exist on the server in encrypted form (say service private key and
community public key).  For faster browsing you could take advantage of
HTML5 client side storage of the clear text if you wished.

Worth thinking about and putting together some OS projects?

But now we know why your communications can be a bit bizarre now and
again, spike.  Or at least you have something to put the blame on. :)

- samantha