[ExI] Obesity was progress.

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sat Mar 2 03:51:47 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of Keith Henson

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk
-food.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

>...Vast research has gone into foods, making them tasty, rewarding,
addicting even.  Is it a surprise that we eat a lot of food optimized to be
consumed?  Readers can probably think of lots of ways to test this model.
Keith

Keith it shouldn't surprise us that food is evolving.  In the marketplace,
only the most enticing and most profitable foods survive.  The article you
offered has at the top a perfect example of evolution of foods, the Dorito.
I vaguely remember back in the 1960s when Doritos were first showing up, and
we liked them.  Now if you go to any grocery store, you will find the
original Doritos with a collection of similar offspring products, many
flavors of Doritos and all their knockoffs.  Before that, we had Fritos,
which are still around in their original form but not nearly as successful
at evolving.

Food is better now than it once was.  It is constantly being improved, in
terms of marketability and profitability.