[ExI] bees again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 3 21:01:15 UTC 2013

Subject: [ExI] bees again

>.  The timing of that collapse was  even more unfortunate because of the
apparent off-the-charts numbers of bee deaths this year.  I had the highest
bee [death] count this year of any of the other years. spike

Well I just returned from a 3 hr bee watching exercise.  The honeybees are
missing in action this year, almost completely gone.  I found one of my
standard trees that should be buzzing with hungry bees today, a perfect bee
day, 70F, light breeze, clear skies, perfect.  That tree had exactly one
bee.

In my back yard, I noticed the minority bees are now the majority: the
secondary pollinators which do about 5% of the pollinating, the
ground-dwelling non-colonizers, are now in the majority.

I have a job for all of you, if you are willing: go find a standard
somewhere, something that you can make notes on date, time, weather
conditions and bee counts.  I fear we have done something to reaaaally screw
our bees this time, something really bad.  I need to know if it is a local
phenomenon, something I can contact the city parks and grounds department,
see if they are spraying something new and improved, or if it is widespread.

Do it please, it's important, davai^3.