[ExI] bees again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Mar 6 04:11:49 UTC 2013

One of our lurkers, Robert Kennedy, has a server which for some reason
persistently fights with the Exi-chat server.  We have never been able to
get those two ISPs to play nice together, which is why Robert never posts.
I forwarded his post below and added my comment at the top.

Spike's comment: Robert and Fred S., regarding the pesticide kill on 1
January 2013, I collected about 50 to 60 of what looked dead bees.  The
minimum temperature that day was about high 30s F.  I took them home to
attempt to dissect them, in search of tracheal mites.  As I was setting up
the microscope, I noticed a bee was flying around inside my house, then two.
I looked at the open Tupperware container with the bees, and noticed several
of them moving.  Eventually about 8 of them revived enough to fly about,
apparently unharmed.  I left the container open to see how many would
revive.  This observation counter-indicates a pesticide kill, and suggests
they were slain by exposure.  Otherwise the toxin would have kept the bees
dead: they wouldn't revive as they warmed in my house.

Also note that these bees were in a suburb, far from any hive or bee tree.
This suggests that the bees were lost and died of exposure, rather than
poisoned.

Read on please.

In the meantime, I consider the imidicloprid theory unproven but still
alive.  Don't make me follow you around at the grocery store: if I catch any
of you buying honey, I will brutally put your butt on moderation, until ye
repent!

spike