[ExI] bees again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 6 09:45:52 UTC 2013

Looking at the historical data, say
http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/California/Historical_Data/index.asp
http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/New_York/Historical_Data/Livestock/Livestock.htm
I am struck by 1) it is certainly declining, 2) the overall number of
hives is not going down tremendously in California, but the decline in
New York is far bigger. Not sure what this actually proves, but I think
it shows there is an elasticity set by non-agricultural production that
makes beekeepers to go into other businesses.

Generally, changes in habitat likely play a big role - I am struggling
to find a report by Simon G. Potts about the UK situation I recently
read, which argued that we have seen declines due to the vanishing of
diverse meadowland, which is important for forage. There are many other
possible reasons, but land use matters tremendously. In the US long term
trends might be more complex:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/02/27/1218503110.abstract
Potts has a nice review paper:
http://nature.berkeley.edu/kremenlab/Articles/Global%20pollinator%20declines.pdf

One insight: it might be stupid to depend too much on Apis mellifera. We
should have a more robust pollination service. Wish I had a beetle for it.

On 06/03/2013 05:11, spike wrote:
> I previously left unstated my bride's attitude toward this whole
> experiment of bees reviving and taking flight inside the abode: she
> was not amused. That lass just doesn't love bees the way her old man does.

I think this is a common problem. There is a book about the beetle
collection of the Nobel laureate Thomas Tranströmer, written by a fellow
entemologist and author. It begins with a scene where they are sitting
and boasting about the species they had in their boyhood collections,
while "...in the kitchen, as wives of beetle collectors tend to do, our
spouses were laughing at us."

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute