[ExI] bees again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 8 03:06:33 UTC 2013

>...  The theory certainly seems plausible to me.  ...  Everyone here has a
chance to play amateur scientist in the next couple months as the blossoms
of spring come forth in all their refulgent beauty...spike

So here is what happened.  The Great Sunflower Project proposed a standard,
but things didn't work as well as we had hoped.  Eventually a group formed
which was a spinoff: several of us were attempting informal
half-digit-of-precision estimates on local blossom patches or trees, then a
data repository was created by one of our number, who set up a private email
group.  In December, we get a short note from QueenB telling us she would be
gone for some indeterminate length of time due to a personal tragedy.  We
haven't heard from her since.  She has the mailing list.

Explanation of half-digit-precision estimates: if you only needed to
estimate an order of magnitude, that would be zero digits of precision.  If
your estimates were better than that, but still not one-digit-precision,
there is half a digit.  If you can sit under an index tree and tell the
difference between 1 bee, 3 bees, 10, 30, 100, 300, 1000 and so forth, then
that is 10 log to the nearest half.

Question amateur scientists: can you estimate the number of bees to the
nearest half digit?  I think you can.  If you want to play, find some index
trees, go out on a specific date and estimate.  Then if you are so inclined,
send me the count and the location.  A zip code is good enough.  If you have
a tree in which there are several of the same species in the area you can
use for comparison, that is even better.