[ExI] Rand Paul Filibuster

spike spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 8 15:38:55 UTC 2013

Subject: [ExI] Rand Paul Filibuster

>...I am shocked that there is so little public discourse regarding Rand
Paul's fillllibuster of John Brennan because of drone strikes. I thought it
was one of most thoughtful political maneuvers of our time. That the POTUS
could order Americans killed on American soil, anonymously by remote
control, without due process, is a chilling thought. It makes possible
proscription by presidential fiat. So I applaud Rand for bringing the issue
of drone strikes before the American public or at least trying to. He seems
to be a fine speaker too.

Stuart LaForge

Avant, there is PLENTY of online discussion about that, just not primarily
here.  Over the years ExI has gained more and more European followers, who
would likely be uninterested in American politics.  Rand Paul definitely
gained a follower in me.

Regarding the topic of American politics, we are seeing in sequestration
what looks like a referendum or a test case on Keynes vs Hayek economics.
That is most interesting.  I know of no comparable test in history where
those two systems make predictions, then we get a chance to actually see
which one works.

For the Europeans present: sequestration is a means whereby the US
government is forced to cut spending (well, not really cut spending, but
actually cut slightly the rated of increase of spending) across the board.
The feds assured us it would be the end of western civilization.  The voting
public has generally decided the slight cuts would not end all life as we
know it on the planet.  Rand Paul is in my camp on that: not only is
sequestration not a catastrophe, the cuts aren't nearly big enough.  We get
a chance to see who was right: Hayek or Keynes.  I am betting on Hayek.