[ExI] How to Bridging the Divide and communicate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun Mar 10 04:59:06 UTC 2013

Extropians,

As I love pointing out, there is a huge gulf within humanity, with
hateful, militaristic atheists on one side, and spiritualists, or
qualophiles, on the other.  Everyone desperately doing all they can to
censor and destroy anyone appearing to be even close to the other side.
And, as usual, the truth, often somewhere in the middle, is always a
casualty of this blinding war.  Facing this headwind seems to be a big
part of why Canonizer.com is not more popular yet.

Some of you may know, James and I submitted our "Amplifying the Wisdom
of the Crowd" paper to the International Conference on Social
Intelligence.  As luck would have it, at least one of our reviewers
appeared to me to be one of these censoring extremists.  But I'll
include part of his 'review', so you can decide for yourself:

"The philosophy in the paper is unclear, there are no scientific results
and the contents of the test web site mentioned in the paper not really
interesting. As a case study, this example web site fails to demonstrate
the potential of the system developed. The web site is currently full of
'crackpot science'."

Evidently, the surprising to everyone scientific consensus survey
results now from including experts from Dennett, to Chalmers, to Lehar,
and a growing number of others supporting "Representational Qualia
Theory", doesn't count, and isn't interesting, because the results are
nothing but 'crackpot science'.  This reviewer gave us the most negative
possible score, with the highest possible self surety rating, that this
shouldn't be accepted.  I'm sure anyone mentions this kind of "crackpot
science" in any hard neural science conference, similarly is likely
censored.  Does anyone have any other similar first hand stories of
feeling like you've been censored in this way?  It's amazing how fast
you get the very real 'cold shoulder' in such 'hard science'
conferences, once you even mention 'qualia'.

Anyway, in an effort to find some way to bridge the gap on both sides of
this immoral war, blinding everyone to what should be obvious, I'm
thinking of adding something like the below to the front page of
canonizer.com, and wanted to get any and all thoughts.  Could something
like this help?

Upwards,

Brent Allsop

Note to Qualophobes, or anyone that hates or wants to censor qualia
theories or classify all the emerging consensus theories below as
'crackpot science':

The people developing this system are doing so because they aren't
haters, don't want to sensor anything.  But, instead want to know what
everyone thinks, concisely and quantitatively.  Only by knowing what
others think, in their terminology, can we help, only with that, do we
have a hope of communicating, and we'll likely help ourselves as much as
anyone, by knowing and valuing, what you and everyone think, and why.

To date, a growing number of leaders in this field have already
contributed to this survey, in various degrees, now including <a href="
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81/4">Steven Lehar</a>, <a
href="http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81/21">Daniel Dennett</a>, <a
href="http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81/2">David Chalmers</a>, <a
href="http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81/22">Stuart Hameroff</a>, <a
href="http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81/17">John Smythies</a>....
Despite the diversity of all participants, surprising to most, there
seems to be a significant amount of consensus emerging, on a great many
things, as can now be indisputably seen below.  Whatever you think about
consciousness, it would really help everyone if you could get it
included in this survey, so we can see, concisely and quantitatively, if
your theory can maintain anywhere near as much consensus as these
emerging theories are achieving.

Oh, and also note, that most of the leading consensus theories are
making falsifiable predictions about just what where and how to effigy
discover and objectively share what is important to consciousness.  The
focus at Canonizer.com, is what would it take for the supporters of a
camp to consider their camp falsified?  The prediction is that it is
only a matter of time before science demonstrates such to everyone,
forcing all experts into the same camp.  That's the good thing about
good theoretical science.  If you think these theories are 'crackpot
science', it'd sure help everyone to see any better theoretical theories
you may propose as less naive or less crackpot, and to see if they can
match the amount of consensus the best theories are achieving.  Knowing
how many people agree with you might hint at just how naive your own
theories might or might not be?