[ExI] Ultra-cryonics

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Mar 19 01:51:01 UTC 2013

Terrestrial cryopreservation is roughly at 77°K. As we move outward in
space, the ambient temperature drops. Ignoring rotation, a suspended
human in the asteroid belt will be roughly 165-200°K without a dewar.
The Kuiper belt, however, is about 50°K, and the Oort cloud is believed
to be 4-10°K.

Would any measures be required to safely cool a patient to 50°K or to
as low as 4°K beyond what we do today to cool him down to LN
temperatures?

Would our current suspension procedures have to be (or ought they be)
modified for new patients, knowing they would be stored at a lower
or much lower temperature than LN?

What protection would ultra-cooled, deep space suspendees require?

Comes to mind:

- shielding against cosmic rays
- shielding against dust impact
- cushioning against any event that might jostle
- any acceleration is limited to some maximum

I don't see any need for individual patient monitoring but wherever they're
housed needs to either be monitored for damage or self-repairing.

Any other pertinent issues affecting the use of ultracryonics?

-- David.