[ExI] planck surveyor maps oldest light

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 17:37:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> This boggles the hell out of my mind.  Why should there be features or
> asymmetry at all?  If I had been there before the Big Bang, I would have
> predicted the expansion of the early universe should have produced a
> perfectly uniform inflation.  But that apparently isn’t what happened:
>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21866464
>  The more I ponder this map, the crazier it seems to me.  How did
> asymmetry of any kind ever form?  Why did matter clump here but not there?
> What was wrong with there?  What was right with here?

These are all excellent questions and I wish I had excellent answers but I
don't. You wouldn't expect perfect symmetry because of random quantum
fluctuations but we're looking at a picture of the universe when it was
only 380,000 years old so it only had that long to grow, so you wouldn't
think any feature in the microwave sky would be larger than 380,000 light
years across, but these asymmetrical features are vastly larger than that.
Very odd. The only explanation that immediately comes to mind is a
interaction with another universe, but I'm probably overlooking something.

  John K Clark