[ExI] Bosch exits Solar business in Germany

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Mar 25 14:46:26 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:29:16AM -0800, Keith Henson wrote:
> "German engineering company Bosch said Friday that it is abandoning
> its solar energy business, because there is no way to make it
> economically viable.'We have considered the latest technological
> advances, cost-reduction potential and strategic alignment, and there
> have also been talks with potential partners,' Bosch CEO Volkmar
> Denner said. 'However, none of these possibilities resulted in a
> solution for the solar energy division that would be economically
> viable over the long term.'"
>
> http://phys.org/news/2013-03-bosch-abandon-solar-energy-business.html

If you've looked at the the last 3 years of PV growth world wide
the growth was flat, i.e. no longer accelerating. As Europe
(Germany and Italy) stay at constant deployment rate, and the
rest of the world is not yet capable to pick up the slack
this will obviously cause massive consolidation, even in
the Far East.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/business/energy-environment/chinese-solar-companys-operating-unit-declares-bankruptcy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That is a far more interesting story than Bosch exiting
the field.