[ExI] peak fossil by 2020

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 17:36:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > This is considerably worse than I expected:
>
> http://www.energywatchgroup.org/fileadmin/global/pdf/EWG-update2013_long_18_03_2013.pdf

I confess I was a bit put off by one of the first sentences in the article
"the shortage of fossil and nuclear energy resources [...]" . It turns out
that by "nuclear energy resources" they mean U 235 and only U 235, a
whopping .007 of mined Uranium. The latent energy locked up in U238 that
can be released in breeders is not even mentioned. Now don't get me wrong
I'm not a great fan of Uranium breeders, but you should at least mention
them. And far far worse the word "Thorium" is not used in the entire long
article, not once. A shortage of nuclear energy resources?

Also the term "Methane Clathrate" is not used one time in the article even
though it contains twice as much energy as all the world's petroleum, coal,
natural gas, oil shale, and every other fossil fuel combined. I think
something like that at least deserves a mention even if you later dismiss
it for some reason, but they're pretending it doesn't exist. A shortage of
fossil fuel energy resources?

  John K Clark